Haven't done this in a while: 10 random tracks from my iPhone:
- Porcupine Tree, "The Sky Moves Sideways"
- Mogwai, "I Chose Horses". Mellowness from one of the greatest Post-Rock groups around.
- Thinking Plague, "Lux Lucet". Thinking Plague is one of the strangest things
I listen to. I don't know quite how to describe it. Often atonal, seriously dissonant when not outright atonal, oddly structured. It's very peculiar stuff, definitely not to everyone's taste.
- Gordian Knot, "Singularity". A very hard/loud instrumental piece. Definitely in the prog genre. Beautiful guitar solos, great bass pulse driving it.
- Marillion, "King".
- Lunasa, "Punch"
- Naftule's Dream, "The Wanderer". Would you believe progressive Klezmer?
- King Crimson, "Neal and Jack and Me".
- Pink Floyd, "Marooned". It's a crime to call this dreck Pink Floyd, when in
fact it's really nothing more than Dave Gilmour masturbating with his guitar. Ick.
- PDQ Bach, "Es War Ein Dark Und Shtormy Night". If you're not in the know,
PDQ Bach is the alter ego of Music professor Peter Schickele. He claims that PDQ is
the 13th illegitimate child of J.S. Bach. Schickele in constantly "finding" PDQ Bach
compositions lining birdcages, etc. This is from PDQ's period of setting "poetry" to
what passes for music to PDQ. Featuring words like "Approaching I saw ein Knight in shining armor with ein codpiece enorm," set to pseudo-Schubert. Great for laughs, and not to be
missed if you get a chance to see him live!